Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Brights of Spring

My husband has been out to sea for the past ten days or so, and as per usual I try to do my best not to have a ton of food in the house since I hate to see anything go to waste! I have been thrilled to see my container garden take off, and have really enjoyed being able to use some of my hand-grown treats in recent dishes. Now that the rain has (finally!) stopped, and the weather is getting warmer, I tend to lean on fresh, lighter meals such as large salads when I’m making dinner for myself. A big salad is easy to make, has endless possibilities and are extremely filling after a good run or workout (another part of my spring afternoon routine). I’ve got a bit longer before my tomatoes start producing, so I’ve been relying on getting my produce from the local market, and  have been lucky enough to find locally grown organic tomatoes at a decent price. My baby arugula pot has come along beautifully, and I love the peppery bite of it in salads. Keeping in the mindset of using what is on hand, I made this fantastic salad out of what was already in my kitchen, and I will surely be making it many times throughout the warmer months. As noted in a previous post, I adore a good poached egg, and I’ve recently seen them paired with cool salads on seasonal restaurant menus. The creamy texture of the yolk makes an ideal dressing, and the play of warm and cool elements really satisfy. A great salad is a perfect way of combining color, texture, and flavor simply and quickly enough for any weeknight dinner or casual lunch.


Herbed Green Salad with Poached Eggs and Crispy Turkey “Lardons”

Per Person:

-1-2 Large fresh eggs
-1 ½ Cups fresh salad greens (I used a mix of baby spinach & arugula)
- ¼ Cup fresh herbs, chopped (flat leaf parsley, dill, cilantro, etc.)
- ½ Cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ Cup sweet Vidalia onion, sliced thinly
- 2 Slices turkey bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 Kalamata olives, quartered (optional)
- 1-2 Tblspns toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Sea salt & fresh cracked pepper

Heat skillet over medium high heat and cook turkey bacon until crisp, about 12 minutes, and drain on paper towels. Toss greens, herbs, tomatoes, onion, olives and pine nuts together. Poach eggs (refer to my recommended instructions in previous post, A Little Comfort) and nestle eggs on top of salad. Top with cooked turkey bacon and season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve & enjoy immediately for best texture- goes great with a glass of crisp white wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment